-   Transportation and Infrastructure
-   Water and Wastewater
-   Buildings and Facilities
-   Energy and Utilities
-   Asset Management
-   Construction Management /Inspection
-   Architecture/Facilities Design
- Programming/Feasibility Studies
- New Buildings, Additions or Alteration Design
- Interior Design/Space Planning
- Forensic Assessment/Building Envelopes
- ADA Accessibility, Life Safety and Code Analysis
- BIM and 3D Conceptualization
- Sustainable Design/LEED Certification
- Condition Assessment/Building Inspections
- Building Systems/MEP
-   Surveying and Mapping
-   Special Inspections and Material Testing
Special Inspections and Material Testing
As a Special Inspection Agency accredited by the International Accreditation Service, HAKS thoroughly understands the complicated and critical process of special and progress inspections to ensure steadfast adherence to codes and reference standards. Our rigorous inspection protocols have resulted in a client base of some of the region’s most discriminating builders and infrastructure owners who must achieve on-time construction and occupancy.
We are accredited in every conceivable category required for building construction and mandated by the New York City Department of Buildings. Our 150 licensed and certified special inspectors are hand-picked and required to move through a series of advanced educational and field training. They conduct and evaluate testing on site as well as at fabrication plants in North America, Asia and Europe. They have completed special and progress consulting contracts totaling more than $100 million with representative construction values of more than $5 billion.
HAKS was the first New York City firm to earn accreditation in all categories of construction—including vital structural and life-safety building components—and we maintain two licensed material testing laboratories.
To view some of our high-profile special inspection work, click here.
Our special and progress inspections encompass the following categories and others:
- Concrete—cast-in-place, precast and prestressed concrete and concrete batch plants
- Structural steel—plant fabrication, site and field welding, steel erection, and high-strength bolting
- Energy code compliance—envelope systems, HVAC and service hot water systems and lighting and power systems
- Fire protection— fire-stops, draft-stops and fire-block systems; fire alarms; and smoke control systems
- Masonry—mortar and grout types and mixtures; spacing of units;and protection from extreme temperatures
- Asphalt—asphalt plants, including hot-mix asphalt
- Soils—site preparation for fill placement, in-place density verification and investigation of borings and test pits
- Structural safety/stability—for transfer of loads or where structural integrity is temporarily diminished
- Pile foundations-drilled pier installation-ensure pile foundations are installed to engineering drawings, pile material, dimensions, quantity, design and actual load capacity
- Wall panels, curtain walls & veneers—check structure during component installation, verify proper joining, anchorage, flashing and alignment
Quality materials are the key to long-term construction reliability and indispensable to successful project performance. HAKS’ material testing facilities in Ossining, New York, and Bridgeport, Connecticut, offer a full line of material, inspection, certification, design and quality control services for construction, forensic studies, evaluations and reports for public- and private-sector clients throughout the Northeast. These labs are AASHTO/AMRL, CCRL and NIST/NVLAP accredited (Lab Code 500043-0), and our Ossining location is NYCDOB licensed. They feature state-of-the-art curing rooms, 3,000-cylinder break rooms, video imaging, and forensic testing. Our services encompass concrete; hot-mix asphalt; soil and geotechnical; structural steel; masonry; spray-applied fire-resistant material; and other testing such as pile-driving inspection and coating mill thickness testing.